Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 4 - Scary Legal Issues


     I'm not going to lie; business stuff scares the crap out of me. There are so many different little things to think about and have to remember. It all can be overwhelming. There are contracts, insurance, releases, permits, copyright, and publishing, just to name a few things that make me nervous. I’ve heard that majority of businesses end up going out of business, which so also very intimidating very someone new like myself.
     One of the biggest issues I'm afraid of is taxes and the money side. Each year when tax time comes around I always get nervous. What if I fill wrong and get audited? My parents have gone through so crazy IRS stuff and I see how much that stresses them and I do not want to put myself in that situation. That's why a good accountant is great to have. “If you are operating a business, you need an accountant.” (Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington Pg 155) Numbers always fly over my head anyway so an accountant is extremely important for me personally.  Accountants can save your life by helping you make sure you are making money and not losing or having to owe money. Make sure you keep all your receipts that have anything to do with your business. Stay organized. For me this could a bit crazy. I can hardly keep my room clean; just think of having to keep all recipes and paperwork organized. I think I will have to hire not only an accountant but also a very OCD assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment