Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 1 Photo Challenge - Self Portrait


     Let me start off by saying, I hate self-portraits. I am no Cindy Sherman. I do not like being in front of the camera. I tried to think of how I could take a picture that is reveling enough without showing anything scandalous. Also I started trying to think on how am I supposed to show who I am just with one picture? When I think of an intimate self-portrait I think of something close up and just of your face, so that’s what I did. I also kept my hair messy because that's how I am on everyday. I did my makeup like normal. I didn't do anything special. I wanted to keep my portrait as natural as possible to try and capture me, which is very hard to do.
     I took a picture of myself in the studio with a single strip light from my right side. I wanted to try and achieve a rembrant light pattern because I feel like that lighting pattern is one of the most beautiful. I placed myself in the thirds because that’s where I usually place my portraits.
     I don’t like showing my teeth when I smiled so I gave a simple smile. I believe that you can see the awkwardness on my face. I also edited my image to be sepia toned. I feel like I am a friendly and warm person so having a little bit of color I think it helps a little bit. But I do believe I achieved a nice portrait.
     The equipment I used was just a camera and a flash. I used my Canon XSI with a 35mm portrait lens. Like I stated before I also used one strip light on top of a Speediton 400w flash pointed at me then I also used the same type light on the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment